Believe it or not but there’s a trail head camp ground right off the I-70 between Salt Lake, UT and Grand Junction, CO.
I discovered this last year and returned this past week. It makes for a decent overnight stop.
The trail head is on the large Great Western Trail. Usable by horses but mainly ATVs. It’s also part of many trails in the area.
- GPS: 38.91551, -111.73236
- Easy to locate: Yes; right off the highway. Take the Gooseberry Road exit and head east on the Old Highway road
- Public Land: Yes
- Cell: T-Mobile = YES / AT&T = NO
- Crowded: not at all
- Buggy: No
- Clean: yes, pretty clean clean
- Would we stay here again: Yes
- Amenities: metal picnic table, pit toilet, horse area, direct trail access
During this visit the campsite areas were in need of mowing and did not seem very usable. Also there was a section of trees that had died and were cut down.
It’s not a place I’d come for camping only but if you’re hitting the trails it works. I suspect more of us traveling along the highway are more frequent visitors. Sure beat a rest stop.