What’s in store for 2022? We’re not quite sure how much we’ll be traveling in 2022. Much depends on our future build project in Idaho moving forward or not. I’m definitely antsy to get underway! Plus with the current state of fuel and inflation, it may be a good year to squat in one place longer than usual!
So far we’ve traveled rountrip toArizona for the 3rd Annual Truck Camper Rally in Quartzsite, then to Phoenix and returned via Parker, AZ. Loved taking the longer way home to CA and spent an afternoon checking out the unique Desert Bar.
Road Travels 2021
Here’s our Highlights of 2021 travel plus video! This is the first year of using the new custom rig and Maximus did not disappoint. This has a state by state quick view of our travels and was a fun way to look back with the year. Two areas we spent quite a bit of time in were Idaho and Wyoming. Scroll down further for short list of my favorite 2021 Travel Blog post links!
The 2021 Map looks like this:
Camping, seeing and doing spots on our perpetual road trip is shown on this cool interactive map. We embarked back in the fall of 2018 to take a journey in the Ford F350 + 2000 Lance Camper test bed and continued through Spring 2020. Maximus (our DIY 4×4 Camper) has been our tiny home on wheels since it rolled out of the shop early 2021.
Camping, siteseeing, hiking, kayaking places!
Favorites by Year
- Sturgis, SD This was our first Boondockers Welcome host stay and we loved it. They were brand new hosts as well! The stay is etched in my memory bank
- Bryce Canyon National Park – Neither of us had been to this park yet and I very much want to return with time to hike and even backpack
- Camping off of Spencer Flats – one of our earlier hunts for free dispersed camping landed us here with a spot overlooking the Capital Reef Valley. Wow.
- Canadian Parks! All the iconic sites in Banff and Jasper plus a few more as we drove east towards WA
- Camping near Sedona on FR525 – We spent 5 nights up here in a beautiful site 5 miles from the highway. Enjoyed hiking and jeeping throughout the area.
- Glacier National Park – the full journey is very memorable, traveling in, camping outside the park, the park drive, several hikes
- Grand Tetons – Most favorite kayak overall along with enjoyable USFS camp area, wildlife and site seeing
- South Padre Island National Seashore / North Beach – Our 2nd time here and with less humid, cooler weather, it was grand
- San Antonio, TX – We kicked off the New Year in San Antonio, TX.
- Montana – this is our primary Hiking and backpacking state; Backpacking Trip 2020 & Dispersed Camping
- Alabama Hills, CA – Great, vast BLM area to explore; we navigated north of Movie Road to Hogback Creek and found cooler temps and complete solitude
- Washington – Journey along Highway 2 eastward bound
- New Mexico – Hung out in the Gila National Forest did site seeing at the Cliff Dwellings, Hiking and Hot springs. Camp grounds in the off season were perfect!
Idaho – Spent quite a bit of time here in 2021 working in exploring and camping while we were back and forth to a new property we recently purchased. We continued working to deliver videos in addition to the blog posts throughout the year. What started out as a few camper build videos has now morphed into life in Maximus.
- Ketchum/Sun Valley free camping
- Headed to an Overland Rally and Sandpoint
- Camped along the Salmon River and visited the mining history along Yankee Fork
Wyoming – We finally found opportunies to kayak and discovered two beautiful stretched of the North Platte River.